Objective Proficiency p 26. Conditionals. Extra Exercise: Verb Tenses

Complete each sentence with a suitable form of the verb in brackets.

1.      Now we’re lost! If you __________________ (write down) Mary’s directions, this __________________ (not/happen).

2.      Why don’t we emigrate? If we _________________ (live) in Australia, at least the weather ______________________ (be) better!

3.      I’m afraid that Smith is a hardened criminal. If we _________________ (not/punish) him this time, he _________________ (only/commit) more crimes.

4.      Thanks to Dr Jones, I’m still alive! If it _________________ (not/be) for her. I _________________ (be) dead for certain.

5.      I’m sorry I can’t lend you any money. You know that if I ____________________________ (have) it, I ____________________________ (lend) it to you.

6.      Don’t be afraid. If you __________________________ (touch) the dog, it __________________________ (not/bite).

7.      In those days, if you __________________ (have) a job, you __________________________ (be) lucky.

8.      It’s always the same! If I _________________ (decide) to leave the office early, my boss _____________________ (call) me after I’ve left!

9.      What a terrible thing to happen! Just think, if we __________________ (not/ miss) the plane, we __________________ (kill) in the crash.

10.  Did you enjoy your meal? If you __________________ (finish) eating, I _____________________ (clear away) the plates.


KEY



1. had written down, 


would not have happened  


2. lived,


 would be 


                    
 3. do not punish, 



will only commit 



4. had not been/were not/was not, 



would be 



5. had, 



would lend 



6. touch, 



won’t bite 



7. had, 



were 



8. decide, 



calls                      



9. had not missed, 



would have been killed 



10. have finished, 



will clear away

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.