Objective Proficiency p 27. Keys and Vocabulary

Ex 4
a inverted first conditional to express tentative statements = If you should happen to …Tentative: /ˈtentətɪv/ not definite or certain because you may want to change it later. Provisional. E.g. We made a tentative arrangement to meet on Friday. Tentative conclusions.


b polite use of would = first conditional
 



c parallel conditional – first conditional = I’ll do something if you do something.
 



d disguised conditional – as long as = if
 



e inverted third conditional = If I had known about the weather conditions …
 



f disguised first conditional – provided that = if
 



g mixed conditional – second + third using now to show past effect on present
 



h inverted second conditional to express tentative statements = If the Prime Minister were to announce …
 



i zero conditional with unless = if not 


Ex 5
a Given that 



b Unless 



c As long as / Provided that
 



d But for / Without 



e Even if 



f on condition that
 



g Suppose / Supposing



Ex 6 
Suggested answers
a Should you see her, could you tell her my address?
OR 

Should you happen to see her, could you tell her my address?
 



b Given that people were dependent on farming for their livelihood, it’s not surprising that they used animal behaviour to predict the weather.





c Provided that you take care of it, you can borrow my bike.
 



d If you’d (like to) take a seat, I’m sure Mr Johnson won’t be long.
 



e If I were you, I’d get another job.
 



f If I had worked harder to pass my diploma, I would be earning more money now.
 



g But for my grandmother leaving me some money, I wouldn’t have been able to afford to go to university.



h Were climatic changes to occur / Were there to be climatic changes, weather lore would be rendered
obsolete.

  • Render somebody/something + adjective (formal) to cause somebody/something to be in a particular state or condition. Make. E.g. To render something harmless/useless/ineffective. Hundreds of people were rendered homeless by the earthquake. Climatic changes may, in due course, render weather lore obsolete.

Ex 7
  • Spoilt: rude and badly behaved because they are given everything they ask for and not enough discipline. E.g. A spoiled/spoilt brat (a person, especially a child, who behaves badly). He's spoilt rotten (= a lot).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.